Thursday, February 23, 2012

the incredible shrinking girl


What I really like about not using the outline in my sketching is that you can rather easily and effectively change the scale of the drawing after the fact. This let's you draw at a larger more comfortable size and then to shrink the image into the scene or setting that you need it to fit.

Using a line (as an outline) on your drawings creates more problems. When you re-size that particular sketch the line shrinks as well. That isn't necessarily a problem unless it sits next to another sketch with (what will now be) a fatter line. These miss matched line thicknesses look bad (IMHO).


My take on the topmost image here is that the little version of the girl could be a twin sister playing in the background. But with the 2nd image (the one with the outlines) it doesn't work quite so well as to the twin sister in the background. Hmmm... I think my examples didn't prove to be as "bad" as I thought. I was hoping that these examples would clearly convince me of going without the outlines. Drat.

Anyone else have thoughts on this? Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. A thinner line is useful when you really DO want the smaller image to be further away. The thin line emphasizes distance, rather than just size. IMHO. (I am not an artist, and I don't even play one)

    ReplyDelete